Financial Aid Facts
FAFSA (Free Application for
Federal Student Aid)
MCNY School Code: 009769
TAP School Codes:
FAFSA priority deadline: Be sure to file your FAFSA each year no later than March 15th.
TAP and FAFSA applications in Spanish
Esto es una nueva característica: Conexiónes de ayuda financiera en Espanol!
Nosotros hemos agregado la sigiente conexiónes para ayudar a nuestras familias que hablan espanol en el proceso de ayuda financiera para la Universidad.
6 Easy Steps
Click here to download The 6 Easy Steps to Apply for Financial Aid
Education: Investing in Your Future
When it comes to increasing your earning power and job security, your education is the best investment in your future that you can make.
Education and Pays
Learn More. You'll Earn More!
New York Higher Education Loan Program
Available for the Spring 2010 Semester, NYHELPs will help New York State students and family bridge the gap between college costs and State and federal student aid.
How To Apply for Financial Aid
Click here to download "The
6 Easy Steps to Apply for Financial Aid" or get the more
detailed instructions below...
Obtain your Personal Identification Number (PIN)
We strongly recommend that you complete your FAFSA online,
and before you begin that process you will need to obtain
a Federal Personal Identification Number (PIN).
You can apply for a PIN at the Department of Education's
PIN site, www.pin.ed.gov,
by selecting '‘PIN Request and Information'’ followed
by '‘Apply for PIN'’.
The PIN serves as your identifier to let you access your personal
information in various U.S. Department of Education systems.
It's like the Personal Identification Number that you get
from your bank that enables you to access your account. Because
your PIN serves as your electronic signature, you should not
give it to anyone. Once you are assigned a PIN, you can go online and change it to something that is easy for you to remember.
It should take 7-10 days for you to receive your PIN (giving
your email address will reduce the turnaround time for a PIN#
to 3 days). Once you have a PIN# then you can get begin!
Applying for financial aid is free, and the application you will use is called the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
- Call us at 1-212-343-1234 ext. 5004 for an appointment to file your FAFSA with a trained Student Financial Services Representative on campus using our high-speed Internet connection.
- Or, if you would like to do this on your own, go to www.fafsa.ed.gov site (If you prefer, you can complete your FAFSA in Spanish.)
Note: Forms are available in MCNY’s Office of Student Financial Services. However the online option is much faster and more accurate and we highly recommend using it.
- Your Financial Information
You will need records of income earned in the year prior
to when you will start school. This will include:
- Your W-2 Forms and other records of money earned
- Your (and your spouse's, if you are married) Federal
Income Tax Return - IRS Form 1040, 1040A, 1040EZ, 1040Telefile,
foreign tax return, or tax return for Puerto Rico, Guam,
American Samoa, the U.S. Virgin Islands, the Marshall
Islands, the Federated States of Micronesia
- Your untaxed income records - Social Security, Temporary
Assistance to Needy Families, welfare, or veterans benefits
- Your bank statements
- Your Social Security number, alien registration number,
and/or driver's license number
- Your business and investment mortgage information,
business and farm records, stock, bond, and other investment
- Your Parents’ Financial Information
Even if your parents are not planning to contribute towards
your tuition, if you are classified as a dependent student,
their income information will be required for completing
the FAFSA. You are considered dependent if you are unmarried,
under 24 years of age, have no financial dependents, are not
an orphan or a ward of the court, nor a Veteran of the U.S.
- Your parents' prior year Federal Income Tax Return as well as all the items identified above, for your parents (i.e. W-2 Forms, untaxed income records, bank statements, etc.)
MCNY’s FAFSA School code is #009769
The U.S. Department of Education assigns a number
called a Federal School Code to each school that is qualified
to receive and disburse federal financial aid. By including
MCNY’s school code in your application, you allow us
to have electronic access to your FAFSA application data,
so that we can calculate your federal financial aid package.
Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) for NYS Residents
New York State residents who are completing the FAFSA online,
will also want to apply for the Tuition Assistance Program
(TAP) at the same time. The New York State TAP program covers
tuition costs only at New York State colleges and schools.
At the FAFSA on the web confirmation page, you will see a
section entitled "New York State Residents". Click on
that link for TAP. Please note that if you do not access
this link before completing
your FAFSA, you might have to complete the TAP form manually
and this can take several weeks. For more information and
step-by-step instructions on how to apply for TAP, log
- The MCNY undergraduate code for your TAP application is
- The MCNY graduate code for your TAP application is 5425
Note: Be sure to “Submit” your application before
you log off.
Requirements to receive aid from Federal programs
To receive Federal student aid, you must:
- Be a citizen or eligible non-citizen of the United States with a valid Social Security Number. (International Students are not eligible for most grants, scholarships and loans). Click here for additional information.
- Have a high school diploma or a General Education Development (GED) certificate or pass an approved "ability to benefit" test;
- Enroll in an eligible program as a regular student seeking a degree or certificate;
- Register (or have registered) for Selective Service, if you are a male between the ages of 18-25; and
- Meet any additional financial aid eligibility requirements
Your Student Aid Report (SAR)
One to four weeks after completing your FAFSA, you will receive
your Student Aid Report (SAR). After processing your FAFSA,
the Department of Education will forward you a copy of your
Student Aid Report (SAR) to you either through email or regular mail, and will also send copies
to the schools you list on your FAFSA.
Your SAR will summarize the information you report on your
FAFSA. Your SAR will contain comments that will alert you
if further information is required to process your FAFSA.
Please check this information carefully to make sure it is
accurate. If all the information on your SAR is correct, you
do not need to return it.
If there is information in your SAR which is not accurate,
you will need to access your information online and correct
it. Your SAR will tell you how to correct the information. You then will receive a new SAR which you should review.
Your financial aid is released only after your application
for aid is approved. An error in the application that goes
uncorrected could lead to a delay in aid being posted to your
account, or worse, to receiving no aid at all. Remember, you
are responsible for paying your tuition and fees.
Your Financial Aid Package
Our MCNY Office of Student Financial Services packages each student according to the amount of grant in aid awarded, state aid after the TAP verification arrives, Federal Pell Grant, limited FSEOG (Federal Supplemental Education Opportunity Grant) and the type of loan(s) the student may be eligible for. Some Federal Work-study funds might be part of that package, as well as possible scholarship funds.
MCNY's Office of Financial Aid sends out award letters to students who have completed all the necessary forms when the actual award is credited to the student's account.
Transferring Aid from another College
If you have been attending another college and wish to transfer to MCNY, you can have your aid transferred by taking the following steps:
- Completing the transfer admissions process (have your previous college send an official transcript) and submitting all other required documents.
- Filing a College Enrollment Change Form in our Office of Student Financial Services, or write to HESC, 99 Washington Ave., Albany, NY 11255 to inform them that you wish to transfer to MCNY. Be sure to include your name, Social Security number, our college code (1099- undergraduate, 5425 - graduate) and the semester you are enrolling at MCNY.
- If you received grants and/or other types of financial aid at your previous school, call 1-800-433-3243 and request that the information be released to MCNY by giving the FAFSA code: 009769
- If you did not receive financial aid, but you are interested, click here to start the process.
There is very little financial aid for international students
to study in the US. Most grants, scholarships, and loans from
public and private sources are restricted to US citizens.
MCNY is working with lending institutions to provide supplemental
educational financial assistance for students from around
International Students may be eligible for Merit Scholarships
as well as private bank loans if they have a U.S. citizen
as a co-signer.
More information for International Students seeking financial
aid can be found at www.edupass.org or contact MCNY's Office of Student Financial Services .